>

Monday 16 December 2013

Guest Author : Lisa Knight



  Please welcome author, Lisa Knight  to my blog today.

Q. Tell my readers a little about yourself.           

I love writing all kinds of stories but romance is definitely my favourite. Curling up with my laptop on a cold winter’s day is my idea of writing heaven and if there’s coffee and chocolate close by that’s even better.
I am always on the lookout for story and character ideas and am inspired by everyday things like people doing their grocery shopping, having morning tea at the local café or saying goodbye in the departure lounge at the airport. Makes me cry just thinking about it!
I live in Canberra with my husband and whenever I can, snatch time to write between being a mum to our three young boys and my job as a social worker.

Q:  Can you tell our readers a little about your writing? What genres do you enjoy writing? 
I have dabbled in a few different genres, but my favourite is contemporary romance. I'm a sucker for people falling love.

Q:  Do you write on a schedule or when the Muse decides?
I'm much more productive with writing in the morning than at night, so most of my work gets done early. Although when I feel like I'm on a good thing with a story I sneak writing in wherever I can.

Q: Can you tell us about your writing process, for example, do you write an outline first?
No outlines at all. I simply start typing and see where it takes me. I know lots of writers begin a new piece of work knowing what the title of the book will be, but I don't come up with that until the very end. It's probably not a good system and I actually find it really hard to choose a title. I need to work on this! 

Q:  What qualities do you instill in your heroes?
I love a certain element of vulnerability especially in the male characters. I'm not against men blubbering about their feelings and shedding a tear or two. For me, a romance is more fun when there is immediate sexual energy between two people. Of course, there also needs to be a dose of good old fashioned jealousy/cheating/misunderstanding/scandal in the way before true love can conquer all!   
Q. Coffee or tea?
Definitely coffee. Yummo.

Q. Beach or countryside?
If only I lived by the beach! We take a few trips a year to the coast and there's nothing better than writing in front of a gorgeous ocean view.  

Q. Do you write about the places you know or prefer to take your readers to exotic places?
I use general areas that are real, but make up the actual town or city in which the story is set. If I had to be accurate with facts about a place, I'd probably get bogged down in the research. Although, in saying that, I once went to a presentation by Monica McInerney and she talked about going to England to explore the area and get a feel for what she was writing about. I made a promise to myself that one day I will do that! 

Q: Where do you get your inspiration?
People watching is a great way to pick up ideas for different characters and if I feel a bit stuck, there's nothing like sitting in a crowded cafe to gain a few impressions. My writing is very colloquial so everyday things catch my attention and often end up in my stories. 

Q: Would you change anything in your life to make writing easier.
I'd love to take six months off work and see what writing full time would feel like. It's so hard to even imagine, but I'm certain it would be heaven. 

Q: We have all suffered submission rejections. How do you cope? Do you have any advice to other writers on coping with rejection?
Being rejected really stings, but chocolate does help with the pain. My advice is to just keep submitting and submitting because even with rejection, there is often useful feedback to take on board. I always have to remind myself that it's the actual writing part that I love the most, and no-one can ever take that from me. 

Q: What do you like to read and who are your favourite authors?
I fell in love the with the JR Ward, Black Dagger Brotherhood series. It is so good! I also love Kristan Higgins and Liane Moriarty. Anything with a bit of romance and drama has me hooked.

Q: Do you write one novel at a time or do you move between works in progress?
I have about three things going on at the one time, and when I get sick of working on one I switch to another to stop me from getting bored.

Q: Do you have times when the Muse is away on holiday?
Of course. This is the time when all the house work gets done!  

Q. What motivates you to write?
Writing gives me an escape into another world, where I can make up whatever I like and have control over who does what. It's my time, where I can zone out from kids and work and all that other every day stuff. I love it.

Q. What advice would you give to unpublished authors approaching an e publisher?
Be brave and take the risk. Just do it and see what happens. Oh and check for spelling and grammar mistakes before you submit. 

Q: Is there anything you would like to share with us about upcoming releases? 
I'm currently working on a new piece so hopefully 2014 will see another release date for me. 

Q: Can you tell us a little about your current novel? What inspired you to write this story?
'The View From Here' was an absolute joy to write. The characters are lots of fun and the pace of the book is quick and easy. I had no agenda or outline when I began and each time I sat down to write I was surprised by the direction the characters took me in.

 Blurb: Millie has decided that this will be her year for a relationship and when she meets sexy plumber Adam things start to look up, until he dumps her after what she thought was a fabulous date.
Unknown to Millie, Adam is only trying to keep her out of harm's way from the rather villainous Stan, who's out to collect on a gambling debt.
It takes a bit of stalking and an accidental back kick to bring down the bad guy, leaving the path wide open for Millie and Adam to really get to know each other.



No comments:

Post a Comment